Sunday, August 20, 2017

Leadership Aphorisms I

After all of the events from last week, I decided to keep it light-hearted today.  The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines "aphorism" as "a concise statement of principle" or "a terse formulation of a truth or sentiment."  With that definition in mind, I would like to record some of my favorite leadership aphorisms that I have learned over the years.  These aphorisms aren't listed in any particular order of importance, but they all in some way have very deep and personal meaning to me personally. 

1.  "Be Prepared." 

Some of my fondest memories growing up as a young boy came from my involvement with the Boy Scouts of America.  I realize that there has been a lot of controversy surrounding this organization lately, but I still do believe that the fundamental precepts of the organization remain sound.  I still remember the Boy Scout Oath, the Boy Scout Law, the Boy Scout Slogan, and the Boy Scout Motto, even though I haven't been involved in scouting for over 30 years (see here).  The Boy Scout motto is "Be Prepared."  Simple.  Elegant.  Clear and concise.  As Eisenhower once said, "Plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."  Never be caught off guard.  Make sure that your team and organization are well-equipped, well-trained, and well-prepared for whatever contingency that they may face. 

2.  "The biggest room in the world is the room for improvement."

Michael Fisher, the President and CEO of Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center likes to share this saying that he learned from his grandfather. "Continuous improvement" is a buzz word that we hear a lot in health care these days, but the concept is a really good one.  Health care organizations, leaders, and individuals all share one thing in common - they can always do things better.  Don't be satisfied with "the way we've always done things around here" - always look for opportunities to improve.  I guarantee you that even the most well run organizations have things that they can always do better. 

3.  "We work for a democracy, not in one."

Residency training can be a frustrating time - it can also be one of the best experiences that you will ever have as a physician.  My residency training was no different.  I completed my pediatrics residency training while on active duty as an officer in the United States Navy.  I learned a lot about pediatrics, leadership, and service during my three years of training.  I also learned a lot about myself.  I have always remembered a lesson I learned (the hard way) while a pediatrics resident.  One of my attendings, who happened to be the Department Chair at the time told me after a particularly frustrating series of events - "Derek, you will do well to remember that we work for a democracy, not in one."  In other words, what is best for the Naval Medical Center San Diego may not necessarily be what is best for LT Derek S. Wheeler (at the time)!  This particular lesson has stuck with me.  As a physician and a health care administrator, patients come first, then the organization, then me.  At times, the interests of the patient, the organization, and me don't necessarily align.  If that is ever the case, the patient comes first, then the organization, then me.

4.  "Do your best."

When I said that I was a Boy Scout, I meant that I went all the way.  I started out as a Cub Scout (there was no such thing as "Tiger Cubs" when I was young), earning my Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear badge.  As a Webelo, I earned both the Webelo badge and the Arrow of Light.  I became a Boy Scout when I turned 11 years old and went all the way through to earn my Eagle Scout award.  The Cub Scout motto is "Do your best."  I think that is fairly self-explanatory - always, always, always, give it your best effort, no matter what the occasion.  It doesn't matter whether you are tired or bored, give it your all.  As the saying goes, "Anything that is worth doing is worth doing well."

5.  "Never ask someone to do something that you are not willing to do yourself."

 I realize that he wasn't the first to say it (it is actually a fairly well known phrase), but I learned this aphorism from my one of my mentors.  Never ask someone, especially someone who reports to you, to do something that you would not do yourself.  I believe this aphorism is about respect.  If you respect someone, you would never ask them to do more than what you would do.  "Leaders lead."  "You can't lead from behind."  "Leaders should be visible."  They all relate to this same aphorism, and it is an important one.

I hope to share many more aphorisms in the future.  If you have some personal favorites, please feel free to share as well!

1 comment:

  1. Mine are:
    1) always do your best
    2) always expect the worst
    3) always think two steps ahead
    4) never let them see you sweat

    ReplyDelete