Our youngest daughter and I recently had a discussion on what songs have had the most influence on our lives (at least to date). I came up with a list, and she did as well. The top song on her list was "Vienna" by Billy Joel. She seemed a little surprised when I told her, "Hmm. I don't know that one." She next told me, "It's one of his songs on the album The Stranger!" I confessed, "That's a great album! But, I still can't hear the song in my head." She then sang a few bars. "Nope."
Well, I went back and listened to the song on Spotify. I remember now! It is a good song, I just never connected the song with the last verse in the Refrain, "Vienna waits for you."
According to a New York Times article in 2008, Billy Joel claimed that "Vienna" was one of his two favorite songs. Apparently, the song was inspired by a visit to Vienna to meet with his estranged father when he was in his early 20's. Joel said that the song is a reminder, "You don’t have to squeeze your whole life into your 20s and 30s trying to make it, trying to achieve that American dream, getting in the rat race and killing yourself. You have a whole life to live."
The song was the B-side single to Joel's hit, "Just the Way You Are", which was his first Top Ten Hit in the U.S. as well as his first Gold song. Both the song and the album won the Grammy Award for Song of the Year and Record of the Year, respectively, in 1979. Despite the fact that "Vienna" was the B-side single (for those of you who don't know, the B-side was just an extra song that you got for buying the A-side single that you really wanted in the first place), the song became one of Billy Joel's most popular songs, and in 2024, it was the third-most streamed song in his catalog. Apparently, the song was featured in the 2004 movie 13 Going on 30 starring Jennifer Garner, which certainly has helped its popularity (here is the scene from the movie that features the song)!
It's not often that I get to compliment one of our children for a great song choice, but I have to confess, "Vienna" is a great song! Take a listen for yourself - the lyrics have a powerful message!
No comments:
Post a Comment