Tuesday, March 12, 2024

Lombardi Time

They say opposites attract, and I think my wife and I are pretty good examples of that statement.  Over the last 30 plus years of marriage though, I think we've become more like each other in many ways, with perhaps one exception.  I consider being "on time" arriving at least 10-15 minutes early, while she thinks that "on time" means that you should plan to arrive within a few minutes of something starting.  In my mind, we were always running late - and in hers, we were always running early!  My wife had a trick that would help her always be on time - she set the clock in her car about 5-10 minutes fast!  She used to have to remind me whenever we rode together that her clock was fast!  

As it turns out, setting your clock fast on purpose is a psychological trick that a lot of people use!  Look no further than the clock tower at the historical Lambeau Field, home to the National Football League's Green Bay Packers since 1957.  The clock tower is a relatively new addition and was part of a stadium renovation project completed around 2012.  Apparently the clock is set 15 minutes fast!  They call it "Lombardi Time" in honor of Vince Lombardi, who coached the Packers from 1959 to 1967, winning five NFL championships in seven years, including Super Bowls I and II.  Coach Lombardi had an overall win-loss record of 96-34-6, and he is recognized as one of the greatest head football coaches of all-time.  As a matter of fact, when the Kansas City Chiefs won Super Bowl LVIII last month, they held aloft the Vince Lombardi Trophy.  

Coach Lombardi expected his players and coaches to be 15 minutes early to meetings and practices. Not on time -- 15 minutes early. If they weren't, he considered them "late." Thus, it came to be called Lombardi time.  He believed that showing up on time is a sign of respect, dedication, and commitment.  I guess Coach Lombardi and I would agree on one thing for sure! Whatever you have to do - setting your clock ahead or just showing up 15 minutes early, just be on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment