Monday, July 10, 2023

"A gesture of honesty goes down well..."

I came across one of those inspirational posts on social media the other day that, if true (and as I've mentioned in the past, these kinds of posts aren't always true) was a really incredible story.  After researching it further, I discovered that the story is actually true.  Apparently, a few years ago, a Spanish cross country runner named  Iván Fernández Anaya was competing in a local race in Burlada.  At the time, he was running in second place behind Kenyan runner and Olympic medalist Abel Mutai.  As they were nearing the end of the race, Mutai mistakenly started slowing down about 10 meters away from the finish line.  He apparently thought that the race was over.














Fernández Anaya quickly caught up to Mutai, but instead of passing him and claiming victory, he stayed behind the other runner and pushed him towards the finish line.  Mutai ended up winning the race.  When later asked about it, Fernández Anaya said, "I didn't deserve to win it.  I did what I had to do.  He was the rightful winner.  He created a gap that I couldn't have closed if he hadn't made a mistake.  As soon as I saw he was stopping, I knew I wasn't going to pass him."

Even his coach said that he wouldn't have let Mutai win, arguing "The gesture has made him a better person but not a better athlete.  He has wasted an occasion.  Winning always makes you more of an athlete.  You have to go out to win."

Fernández Anaya responded, "...today, with the way things are in all circles, in soccer, in society, in politics, where it seems anything goes, a gesture of honesty goes down well."  Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment