Wednesday, February 2, 2022

"Without a ruler to do it against..."

The ancient Roman Stoic philosopher Seneca wrote, "There is a need for someone against which our characters can measure themselves.  Without a ruler to do it against, you won't make crooked straight."  He was talking metaphorically about role models and mentors.  

Undoubtedly, most of you have heard about the origins of the term mentor.  Mentor was a character in Homer's Odyssey.  He was an old, senile man, though the goddess Athena assumed his appearance to guide Telemachus during his father Odysseus' long absence.  A mentor, then, is an individual who teaches or gives help and advice to a less experienced and (often, but not always) younger person.  Almost every leader I know, including the ones at the top of organizations, have identified mentors that they can trust and rely upon for advice and counsel.  So if I could offer some very simple advice, whether you aspire to leadership or you are already an established leader, find someone who will stand behind you in times of trial and triump.  Identify someone who will provide you with perspective and advice.  

I have benefited from mentors at almost every stage of my career.  I still keep in contact with almost all of them.  I am thinking about all of my mentors, particularly this past week after losing one of them ("No words").  Another bit of advice - take time this week to thank your mentors for all they have done for you.  While I was able to thank one of my mentors, Hector Wong, before he died, I would have liked to have done so again.

It's just as important, in my mind, for leaders to have role models as well (incidentally, see last year's post, "The Board of Directors for Me, Inc.").  Webster's Dictionary defines "role model" as "a person looked to by others as an example to be imitated."  It's completely acceptable for your mentor to serve as a role model too, though I think it's important to have others as well.  Role models can be leaders in your organization (or other organizations), national leaders, or historical figures.

According to Ryan Holiday, author, blogger, Stoic philosopher, and bookstore owner (I subscribe to his Daily Stoic email newsletter), the French emperor Napoleon had his own "Hall of Heroes" at the royal Tuileries Palace in Paris, which contained statutes of his role models throughout history.  While you certainly do not need a long hallway filled with statues of your role models, every leader should have his or her own version of the "Hall of Heroes."

Leaders need mentors and role models.  Indeed, they are Seneca's "rulers" by which we measure ourselves.  Identify your mentors and build your own "Hall of Heroes."  I guarantee you will be glad that you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment