Monday, August 30, 2021

Behind every one of us...

I came across a post on social media last week that I thought was interesting.  I was not able to verify that this story was actually true or not, so take it with the proverbial grain of salt.  The story involves Winston Churchill, the legendary Prime Minister of the United Kingdom from 1940 to 1945 during World War II (and again from 1951 to 1955) and his equally legendary spouse, Clementine Churchill.  Among all of the other things she did for her husband throughout their lives together, Clementine once even literally saved Winston's life (see the story here).  Here is the story, copied verbatim from the Internet:

One day, Mr. and Mrs. Churchill were walking through a smart neighborhood in London.  People greeted and exchanged a few words with the Prime Minister.

A street sweeper, however, greeted Mrs. Churchill in particular, and the two stayed aside for a while in familiar conversation.  Afterwards, Churchill asked his wife what had taken her so long to discuss with a street sweeper.

"Oh...he was in love with me once a long time ago," she replied.

Churchill smiled and said, "You see, if you had married him, you'd be the wife of a street sweeper today."

Mrs. Churchill looked at her husband in amazement and said the legendary words:

"But no darling, if I had married him, he would be Prime Minister today."

What a great story!  Leaders often take for granted how much their spouse or significant other influences their success.  I can't imagine where I would be today without my wife's influence, support, advice, and commitment.  Throughout my career, she has been the one person who has always been there for me, through good times and bad.  

Take a moment today (and every day) to thank that one special person in your life who has always been there for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment