Wednesday, April 22, 2020

"I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me!"

Comedian and former U.S. Senator (Minnesota) Al Franken used to do a sketch when he was on Saturday Night Live called "Daily Affirmations with Stuart Smalley", which first aired in February, 1991 (by far one of the best skits was when NBA legend Michael Jordan had a cameo role).  Smalley/Franken started the show with the daily affirmation, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."  The sketch was meant to be funny, but here's the question.  Could there be a serious side to the concept of a daily affirmation?

You've probably heard of an individual named Muhammad Ali, the legendary heavyweight boxer who frequently referred to himself as "The Greatest."  He said it so many times, that it was almost his trademark.  When you critically examine Ali's life, however, I think you will agree that he was probably right.  Ali was an Olympic Gold Medalist (1960), two-time World Heavyweight Champion, with an overall boxing record of 56-5 (37 wins by knock-out), television and movie actor/entertainer, rapper (many musicians cite Ali as a major influence, and according to The Guardian, many musicians cite him as the first rapper), Grammy award nominee (twice), activist/humanitarian, philanthropist, and winner of the Presidential Medal of Freedom (2005).  Ali famously was the last torch bearer during the Opening Ceremony of the 1996 Summer Olympics in Atlanta and the flag bearer for Team U.S.A. during the Opening Ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics in London.  Ali died in 2016 from complications related to septic shock following a long battle with Parkinson's Disease.  He was, truly, one of America's greatest athletes and a hero to all.

Ali once had this to say about his daily affirmation, "I am the greatest.  I said that even before I knew I was..."

He continued, "It's the repetition of affirmations that lead to belief.  And once that belief becomes a deep conviction, things begin to happen."

It's pretty amazing when you think about it.  One of the greatest - arguably, maybe THE greatest boxer and athlete - used a daily affirmation.  Ali first had to believe in himself that he was the greatest before he could truly become the greatest.

The cognitive psychologist, behavioral economist, and Nobel laureate, Daniel Kahneman, tells us that the daily affirmation doesn't even have to be true: "A message, unless it is immediately rejected as a lie, will have the same effect on the associate system regardless of its reliability...Whether the story is true, or believable, matters little, if at all."

Kahneman goes on to say that "the aversion to the failure of not reaching the goal is much stronger even than the desire to reach it."  In other words, using a daily affirmation (such as, "I am the greatest") will set a high bar which individuals will want to exceed.  The fear of failing to achieve or attain that high bar is a powerful motivator.  Words lead to beliefs.  Beliefs lead to action.  Actions lead to reality.  "I am the greatest" leads to the reality that Ali was the greatest.

I am writing all of this, because I need to convince myself of something.  I am in need of a personal affirmation.  The last few weeks have been particularly difficult for me personally and professionally as I face the COVID-19 pandemic in a new position, at a new hospital, in a new city.  I have struggled to remain optimistic at times, and even though I have not outwardly shown it, I have become more pessimistic and negative.

As I reflect on my attitude as of late, I have to admit that I don't have it so bad.  Things could be a lot worse.  I have a stable job, when many Americans do not.  I have my health, when many Americans do not.  My family is doing fine, again, when many Americans are not doing fine.  I am thankful to be in the position that I am in right now.  Really, I have no reason to be pessimistic or negative.

So here is my daily affirmation, starting with today.  "We will get through this.  We will be better and stronger for the journey.  And I will help lead our way."  It may not be a "I am the greatest" kind of moment, but my affirmation is that I will be the leader that my organization needs right now.  In this moment.  Moving us forward.  To greatness.


2 comments:

  1. Hang in there doc. I have been experiencing the same tough feelings during the pandemic. We will make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I needed to read that. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete