Tuesday, September 11, 2018

A day we will never forget.

Seventeen years ago today, the world changed for all of us.  I can remember exactly how I first learned about what was happening on that fateful day.  I had one of those pagers that sent text messages for sports scores, stock quotes, and breaking news updates.  The first page that came across on the way to the hospital said that a plane crashed into the World Trade Center.  My first thought was that it had to be an accident.  By the time I got to the hospital, the second page came across that a second plane had crashed into the World Trade Center.  My wife then called me with the news that a plane had crashed into the Pentagon.  And I knew then, "We were under attack." 

All of us watched as the events unfolded.  Our hearts broke on that day.  Our lives changed forever.  It was the end of the innocence.  I have never looked at a plane the same way again.  I have never looked at a skyscraper the same way again.  Everything has changed.

I also remember the incredible leadership and heroism displayed on that day and the many days that followed.  My family and I visited New York City and toured the September 11 Memorial and Museum.  It was an amazing experience, and I highly recommend it.  There's a quote on the ground floor by Virgil that really fits - "No day shall erase you from the memory of time."  We will never forget those who lost their lives on that day.  We will never forget the first responders who rushed into the building, even after the first tower fell.  It was their duty.  And they did not forget. 

Image result for 9/11 memorial virgil quote

It's been 17 years.  I took a few moments today to remember that day.  A day I will never forget. Heroism.  Leadership.  Duty.  Courage.  It was all there.  A day we will never forget.   

No comments:

Post a Comment