Sunday, April 23, 2017

Leadership essentials from A to Z

I came across a great article by Lolly Daskal in Inc. magazine the other day, entitled "26 Qualities That Will Lead You to Greatness".  See if you agree:

A = Authentic
B = Brave
C = Character-Driven
D = Decisive
E = Engaging
F = Fearless
G = Goal-oriented
H = Humble
I = Inspiring
J = Just
K = Knowledgeable
L = Listener
M = Motivating
N = Noble
O = Optimistic
P = Progressive
Q = Qualitative
R = Reliable
S = Supportive
T = Trustworthy
U = Unbiased
V = Visionary
W = Wise
X = Xcellent (she apologized for taking "liberties in spelling" here)
Y = Yearning
Z = Zealous

All things considered, not a bad list.  There are certainly others that I could add to or substitute on the list.  For example, rather than "Xcellent", I would have picked "Xecution" (having a vision, i.e. V = Visionary, is not enough; a leader needs to be able to execute on that vision) instead.  While I certainly appreciate it when a leader has an "Engaging" personality, I think that being "Enthusiastic" is just as important.  Finally, I think "Progressive" as used here is another word for "Innovative" (though I do like "Inspiring" better here) or "Leading-Edge" (may fit better than the noun, "Listener" in this list of adverbs); "Punctual" is something I admire in leaders - never keep your team waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment