Thursday, November 3, 2016

The world has changed ("Fly the W")

I woke up this morning to a brand new world.  Things changed overnight.  The sun still rose up in the East.  The sky was blue.  The grass was green.  I started the day with a cup of coffee and the morning newspaper.  But things were different.  On this morning, my beloved Chicago Cubs were no longer the "Loveable Losers" of the North side.  Chicago Cubs - 2016 World Series Champions.  It has a nice ring, don't you think?

Without a doubt, game 7 last night was the best baseball game that I have ever seen - period.  It had everything.  Two teams fighting for their first World Series title in many, many years.  An untouchable pitcher from the Cleveland Indians became touchable.  An untouchable pitcher from the Chicago Cubs also became touchable.  A blown save.  Extra innings.  A rain delay.  Every pitch seemed like it would make one team a champion and one team a runner-up.  Epic.  It was simply unbelievable.

For this long-suffering Cubs fan, last night was truly magical.  Even now, I wonder if it was all just a dream.  Cubs fans just think that way.  But this team just never gave up.  They didn't quit.  Even down three games to one with their backs to the wall.  They found a way to win.  Even after blowing a three run lead in the 8th inning of game 7, they found a way to win.  What a game!  What a team!

But this post isn't really about the Cubs.  My hat goes off to the Cleveland Indians.  They never gave up.  They never quit.  They fought until the bitter end.  Unfortunately, there had to be a winner and there had to be a loser.  But the Cleveland Indians didn't lose this game.  The Chicago Cubs won it.  As much as I was inspired by my Cubs, I was even more inspired by the Cleveland Indians' manager, Terry Francona.  He gave a truly remarkable, inspirational, humble, honorable post-game interview.  What a class act.  Here is some of what he said:

"You know, we ask our players to play the game with respect and to leave it on the field.  That was it.  They gave everything they had.  And I kind of talked about it before the game, what an honor it was, but it really was.  To go through that with this group and these people, it was an honor."

Well, Mr. Terry Francona, the honor was ours.  You showed us everything that we could ever ask of a leader last night.  You are a great manager, and you deserve your place in the Hall of Fame.  I will never forget how you led your team throughout the play-offs and throughout the World Series.  I will never forget your humility, your pain in losing, and your respect for this great game. 

It is an unfortunate truth that even great leaders fail at times.  But I think that what makes these leaders really great is how they fail.  They fail with class.  They fail with humility.  They fail with respect.  They fail with honor. 

So close to Election Day, I am also reminded of another great leader who failed with class.  President George H.W. Bush left a letter for the incoming President Bill Clinton on his last day of office.  He said:

Dear Bill,

When I walked into this office just now I felt the same sense of wonder and respect that I felt four years ago. I know you will feel that, too.

I wish you great happiness here. I never felt the loneliness some Presidents have described.

There will be very tough times, made even more difficult by criticism you may not think is fair. I’m not a very good one to give advice; but just don’t let the critics discourage you or push you off course.

You will be our President when you read this note. I wish you well. I wish your family well.

Your success now is our country’s success. I am rooting hard for you.

Good luck – George


Respect.  Honor.  Humility.  Class.  These are the characteristics that separate the great leaders from the good leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment