Saturday, January 2, 2016

First blog post!

One of my New Year's resolutions this year was to write more.  I have often thought it would be fun to write a blog (as well as a lot of work), so I thought I would fulfill my resolution to write more this year by starting my own blog. 

While I do not claim to be an expert in leadership or management, I have spent a lot of time reading about great leaders throughout history.  I have often looked for a place to collect stories and lessons about leadership, so this blog page will hopefully serve that purpose, even if I am the only one who will ever benefit from it. 

Tom Peters (http://tompeters.com), a noted expert in management and author of the book "In Search of Excellence" once said, "Leaders don't create followers, they create more leaders."  I would have to agree.  One of the greatest things that we can do is to share our stories, lessons, and wisdom with other leaders.  I hope this blog will at least partly serve that purpose. 

Finally, Thomas J. Watson (Chairman and CEO of  IBM from 1914-1956) said, "Nothing so conclusively proves a man's ability to lead others as what he does from day to day to lead himself."  Leadership has to start by looking inward at what you do with your own life.

I look forward to learning more...

2 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading you, Derek. Plug your new entries on Twitter so the readers will know there is new material on the blog. Cheers!
    Alex Rotta

    ReplyDelete